Code Enforcement

BUILDING, ENGINEERING & LAND USE APPLICATIONS: Apply for Building Permits and Land Use applications online at: Welcome to MBP | MBP (

INSPECTIONS: Schedule your inspection online at: Inspection Scheduling (

FOR GENERAL INQUIRES: Please contact the Planning and Development Department at [email protected]

Code Enforcement

Most people would agree: Edmonds is a great place to live. Its extensive park system, high standards of city services and beautiful waterfront contribute to Edmonds' quality of life.

Edmonds' regulations have evolved over the years in the form of Community Development (ECDC) and Municipal (ECC) Codes to help maintain that quality of life. Minimum standards set forth in the codes strive to balance the rights of the individual with the needs and rights of other citizens. Citizens typically become aware of code requirements when they feel something is negatively affecting their own home or neighborhood and they seek to change it.

The Code Enforcement Division of the City of Edmonds enforces regulations within the Edmonds City Code and the Community Development Code, generally through a complaint-generated system.

The Code Enforcement Inspector investigates complaints, educates citizens and works to resolve issues and achieve code compliance. If a violation occurs, the inspector will try to resolve it first through education, voluntary compliance and/or negotiation. If this proves unproductive, formal civil enforcement proceedings may begin.


Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions relating to City Code enforcement.

Some common complaints:

  • Garbage, litter, debris and appliances on private property
  • Junk Vehicles on private property
  • Duplexes or accessory dwelling units developed without permits
  • Clearing, filling or grading in a critical area (steep slope or shoreline)
  • Home occupations or commercial activities in a residential zone
  • Signs established without a permit
  • Building, structures or uses in required setback areas
  • Graffiti

See Common Complaint Referrals for a comprehensive listing including phone numbers.

To report a suspected violation, please call or email the inspector (see phone number and e-mail address above). A Request for Code Enforcement Action form is also available below.

The Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish County provides a proven method for resolving conflicts between neighbors or business owners. Typical cases include noisy neighbors, barking dogs, boundary line issues, property maintenance and more. Mediation can occur at any time during a code enforcement process or replace it entirely. You can find out more by contacting the Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish County at 425-339-1335 or